Prev: Re: [GZG] Question: small-arms tech and troop quality.... Next: Re: [GZG] Question: small-arms tech and troop quality....

Re: [GZG] Question: small-arms tech and troop quality....

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:28:26 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Question: small-arms tech and troop quality....

>Assuming that the purpose of the discussion is leading to an expression
of
>the points value of units in a wargame, then you need to factor in the
>mission types.

Thought the DO have some bearing on points values, the actual point
of the initial question was to determine infantry small-arms fire
resolution, not cost points. Overall combat value is a very different
thing, which needs to include command and control, mobility,
survivability and all the rest; at this time I'm only concerned with
very specific question of useful firepower output when engaging the
enemy with small-arms fire.

>If the mission involves protecting the base line from the enemy, say
against
>a zombie horde or whatever or its a rescue the downed aircrew in no
mans
>land, then a small number of power armour elite troops might not be
able to
>be in enough places on the table to achieve the mission and simply be
>swamped by the low tech hordes.
>
>If the missions are simply to kill each other then it could be a
reasonable
>place to start.
>
>As has been mentioned morale and training are not necessarily the same
axis
>but could be 2 different dimensions. Historically training and morale
has
>not always been the same. The recent discussion on mercenaries could
leave
>you with highly trained mercenaries that are reluctant to get killed
>unnecessarily, or you could get units motivated by belief in the system
but
>who are not well trained.

Yes, and this will all be taken into account!

Jon (GZG)