Prev: Re: [GZG] UNSC Workings Next: Re: [GZG] UNSC Workings

Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:06:58 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Interesting mercenary idea

n,

For incompetence, you should let only one unit be a blue (maybe red) 1.
while most of the rest are green (maybe blue) 3s with a smattering of
green/blue (maybe red) 2s.

Corruption....set up a table of potential effects and die roll it. :-)

Mk

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:35 AM, John Lerchey <lerchey@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I also found no rudeness, nor offensiveness in John's response.  He
was
> giving some additional insight as to how reality is often far, far
away from
> what we like/see in gaming environments.  It's very easy for us to
expect
> our troops to act in certain expected ways on our gaming tables.  How
many
> *war games* really deal with corruption and complete ineptitude by
> commanders and politicians?
>
> That said, I have been (slowly, oh sooooo slowly) working up forces
for a
> DS campaign that I'd like to play with my local group. The base
premise is
> to have each player have control of a mercenary company of their
choosing.
> The mercenaries are hired on short term contracts in a war being
fought
> between two of my political units.
>
> The Order is a right wing religous faction that broke off of the NSL.
You
> could compare them to cold war russians (with religious zealousness),
GW
> Imperial Guard, or (since we brought up the Dorsai) the Friendlies.
They
> use almost "modern" equipment, but realy have to rely on numbers to be
> effective. I use mostly GZG Future Wars tracked and wheeled vehicles
for
> these guys.
>
> The New Republic of America (NRA) is a spliter from the NAC who
re-founded
> an America. They are higher tech than the Order, but not quite at grav
tank
> levels. I use mostly Ral Partha OGRE minis (and yes, they do field
OGREs in
> addition to crunchies).
>
> The Order buys mercs to offset their lacking tech base.  The NRA buys
mercs
> to offset their lack in numbers.
>
> Now, the thing that I hadn't really thought about until this thread
started
> was how to model some of the political limitations.
>
> First, we have a huge potential for corruption.  Mercs might not get
paid
> on time, might get substandard supplies, or might be given missions
that are
> more about propaganda or personal motivation on the part of the
contracter
> than they are about winning anything.
>
> Second, we have issues of ROE.  Most games don't bother with ROE at
all.
> I'd love to hear thoughts on how to write such for games.  I can think
of a
> few things, like "your units may not fire unless fired upon" and "oh,
TBW,