Prev: Re: [GZG] Ixx Psychology & behaviour? Next: Re: [GZG] Ixx Psychology & behaviour?

Re: [GZG] Ixx Psychology & behaviour?

From: Enzo de Ianni <enzodeianni@t...>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 02:53:55 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Ixx Psychology & behaviour?

At 21.00 07/12/2008, you wrote:
>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 21:43:00 -0500
>From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [GZG] Ixx Psychology & behaviour?
>To: gzg-l@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu
>
>Whereas I enjoy the idea of some form of insect-based race as I think
that
>offers some interesting potential for gaming based on different
physiology
>and psychology, I'm really not anxious to see these created as 'the
boogey
>men' of the GZGverse. That really just smacks of GW to me.
>
>Is there any reason an intelligent, insectoid race can't be a member of
the
>GZGverse in just the same way the Kra'vak, Phalons, Savasku and P'taah
>(though only by virtue of having a figure line) are? Do they need to be
the
>cosmic sledgehammer? That's so dreadfully cliched and boring IMO.
>
>Ultimately, it might be interesting to see a new race, with some new
ships
>for FT, units for SG and DS, that is based on some form of insectoid
>physiology and with unusual psychology that has play-impacting effect.
Yet
>at the same time, I hope they can be 'another example of diversity in
the
>larger universe' rather than 'the classic fearful bug alien race'. If
we
>want settings like that, we've got several sci-fi examples - I'd rather
not
>see the GZGverse go that way.
>
>That's my 0.02....

Just my opinion, but I like very much your work
on the Ixx and a rational push for their behaviour.
A question arise, though: what happens if a
hive-planetoid enters a main system?
Maybe they steer clear of too well defended areas
(as you said) so that mean they will never reach
the "core" systems, finding better (or at least
less defended) pastures somewhere else? Or they
casually simply pass through other areas?
It could be reasonable, then, to leave them
interesting targets somewhere, so they'll never
find themselves in a logistical crisis that could
push them into moving onto a main system... that
could mean strategical moves to push them towards
some planets... maybe enemy planets? Or we could
have a race of mercenaries? "Listen, if you
refrain to attack here, I'll let you pass through
to go there, a wonderful place chock full of
whatever you like... I could even send 3
dreadnoughts of mine to lend a hand..." and,
voilĂ , a mixed NSL-Ixx task force show up on the
edge of a NAC system (casually, the system would
be potentially harmful to the NSL on top of being
interesting for the aliens)... obviously, next
time it could be the reverse, with NAC helping the Ixx against somebody
else).

Bye

							 Enzo de Ianni

Prev: Re: [GZG] Ixx Psychology & behaviour? Next: Re: [GZG] Ixx Psychology & behaviour?