Prev: Re: [GZG] Original BSG artwork Next: [GZG] Ixx Psychology & behaviour?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....?

From: Stephen Bond <daibaka2000@y...>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:04:19 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....?

said...

>>Quick question to the list hive-mind......
>>
>>I'm going to be doing a troop-carrying version of the Mantis VTOL (in
>>15mm), in response to many requests, but I'm torn between two basic
>>design ideas"
>>
>>1) keep the Mantis cockpit off the Gunship, and have a troop "pod"
>>behind it (a box that is either a fixed part of the main fuselage or
>>could be demountable/deployable?)  so that there is no direct access
>>between troop bay and cockpit, or...
>>
>>2) sculpt a complete new cockpit as an integral part of a much wider
>>troop-carrying fuselage, in the style of most modern helis, so that
>>the grunts in the back have direct access to the crew in the front.

<snip>

Pretty late in the day, but my 2 pennorths as good as anyones. I say
option 2. You could still have a tandem cockpit layout (it worked for
the dropship in Aliens), but the separate module style would be better
for a loadlifter or civvy version in my mind. You could still use the
same engine pods and defensive tribarrels for a "wholebody" VTOL.

What I would like to ask though, is are there any plans to
revise/"re-imagine" the classic AV6 VTOL from the 25mm and 6mm lines
(SF25-35 and DSM-102 for those who don't know)? The original was pretty
much an iconic design and graced many a mailorder catalogue cover and
magazine advert, at least as far as my flaky memory tells me. If things
like the Paladin, Phalanx and Wombat have received the 15mm "treatment",
why not the AV6? It still looks the part to my mind even today. I guess
there's an element of "stuck-record" with all these requests for
personal favourites to be re-done in 15mm, but I think it could be
warranted in this case.

Steve.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Original BSG artwork Next: [GZG] Ixx Psychology & behaviour?