Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: troop-carrying VTOLs....? Next: Re: [GZG] Toying with UNSC ships (sendout #2)

Re: [GZG] SG house rules for the IXx [SEC=PERSONAL]

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:58:16 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] SG house rules for the IXx [SEC=PERSONAL]

>I didn't want to add any unbalancing special rules for SG2, as if too
>many rules are modified, it gets messy.  The chemical communication
>idea, I think, is too detailed for the rules (and more useful at FMA
>scale).  The normal "transfer action" rules cover it fine.
>
>I like the idea of personal force fields, instead of armour upgrades.
>
>Ixx Force Fields:
>   The Ixx have developed personal force field technology to the point
>where it can be worn by infantry.  Ixx wearing a forcefield are slower
>(6"/d6x2" move), but roll an additional 1d6 armour die vs Impact (ie:
>roll 2d6 and take the highest). [If using a point system, pay for the
>armour twice.]  If a double is rolled, add +1 to the armour die (eg:
>roll "1"+"1", the armour result counts as a "2")
>
>Ixx Power Armour + Force Field:
>   Although very rare (due to the difficult physiology to work with),
the
>Ixx do have power armour technology, with more powerful force fields.
>Armour: d10, Force Field: d10, move: 10"/d10x2".  [For Power Armour
>Design System, the forcefield counts as 2 capacity.]
>

>Had a thought about wounded/dead figures.  How would the IXx treat
their
>wounded?  As humans?  Eat them on the spot? (NB: not having wounded in
>SG can be a benefit).
>If they still retain some instinctual "bug-like" behaviour, the
>following is an idea.
>
>Wounded Ixx:
>   Casualties are determined as normal during combat.	When performing
>"re-org" action by a squad, Ixx add +1 to the casualty treatment table
>(this stacks if there is a designated medic).	Any figures that are
>still wounded after treatment, are considered to be "dead"
>(hibernation/eaten/other) for the rest of the game.
>Independant figures that are wounded may spend 2 actions to perform a
>"re-org" action and treat themselves.	They do not get the +1 that a
>squad does.  If the figure is still wounded, it is considered "dead"
for
>the rest of the game.
>

>What type of small arms would the Ixx use?  Laser?  Gauss?

Some of my early thoughts had them using gauss of some type, possibly
small-calibre high ROF flechette type weapons. I did have a weird
idea of them magnetically firing slugs of molten metal that
self-forge into a penetrator in flight, but that's pure PSB for the
sake of it and probably has NO functional reason for existing over a
conventional bullet......  ;-)

I did start to write up some notes on the Ixx a while back, and got
this far; this shouldn't be taken as canon YET, however, as I'm still
mulling over ideas.....

"There is a major vocal component to their communications, though we
suspect that other cues - visual and possibly pheromonal - are used
as well. There are no signs at the moment of any kind of "hive mind"
group consciousness, they appear to be as much individuals as you and
I; however with only one live specimen - sorry, I suppose I should
say "prisoner" - taken so far, we can't be sure of this. While we
don't believe that they are actually telepathic among themselves,
there are some indications that they may possess a rudimentary
empathic link over short distances - though this may be pheromone
based rather than some extrasensory ability.
Their "speech", if I can use the term, consists of a series of
clicks, whistles and hisses through their mandibles; it is very
unlikely that they could ever mimic human vocal sounds. As far as the
linguistic AIs have managed to determine, the prisoner seems to refer
to itself as <click>sssssss, which we have rendered as "Ixx" -
whether that is their name for their race, or the name of the
individual we have captured, is not yet clear - it could simply be
their equivalent of "Name, rank and number"Š. but, until we know
more, then Ixx will serve as a convenient term of reference for this
new enemy."

The standard weapon type of the Ixx is a magnetically-accelerated
projectile rifle known to Human troops as the "spitter". These
weapons are capable of very high rates of fire over short durations,
though the high cooling requirements for such use mean that they are
generally used at lower fire rates for sustained operation. Most Ixx
warriors carry a medium-sized individual spitter weapon that is the
analogue of a human rifle, while leader/officer types have been
observed with smaller one-handed pistol weapons. Heavy support is
provided by a much larger spitter gun with an external coolant supply
from tanks carried on the Warrior's carapace, allowing the support
spitter to maintain a consistent high rate of fire, while
anti-vehicle fire is generally provided by Warriors carrying a
shoulder-mounted launcher weapon firing small unguided hypervelocity
kinetic penetrator missiles.
Much larger versions of the spitter weapons and the HVKP launchers
have been observed on Ixx combat vehicles and on groundmount
platforms crewed by one or more Warriors.

The insectoid nature of the Ixx is most apparent in their chitinous
exoskeleton, which affords them natural protection equivalent to
human light combat armour. Even with no preparation, the Ixx can
survive exposure to vacuum for several minutes, and with just a small
amount of special equipment (mainly protection for the optical
clusters and breathing apertures) this can be extended considerably.

I also had some thoughts, as yet undeveloped, that the Ixx are
galactic nomads who have just arrived at the edges of human space
(yes, I KNOW it's been used before, but them what hasn't...?)
travelling in a group of really, really big hiveships and
attacking/exploiting any suitable planets they come across for the
resources they need.....   ;-)

Jon (GZG)