Prev: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG 2008 Xmas special offer! Next: [GZG] Hello everyone

Re: [GZG] Picture Perfect Planet

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:19:00 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Picture Perfect Planet

ng through my mail archives, I found this still in my inbox.

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:19 AM, K.H.Ranitzsch
<kh.ranitzsch@t-online.de>wrote:

> Well over 200 planets around stars other than the Sun have been
> detected, including several multi-planet systems.
> I guess most of you know this site:
> http://exoplanets.org/
> Some interesting news there (and enough strange configurations for
Full
> Thrust Scenarios)
>
> In latest developments:
>
> It is now also possible to take pictures of such planets (if
astronomers
> are lucky):
> http://www.gemini.edu/sunstarplanet
>
> Though the planet, wirh a temperature of 1800 K, is not exactly a
place
> to send a "wish you were here" postcard from (well, maybe to dear
enemy.

Just as an fyi, the Hubble has taken visible light images of a planet
orbiting another star:

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2008/39/

Said planet is most probably no larger than 3x Jupiter, and orbits
Fomalhaut
every 872 years. Like Karl's note above, not a garden spot, but...it
*is* a
planet in another star system!

Mk

Prev: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG 2008 Xmas special offer! Next: [GZG] Hello everyone