Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:23:53 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

At 8:11 PM +0100 10/29/08, Oerjan Ariander wrote:

>Yes, the .50 sniper rifles can fire SLAP. Unfortunately doing so with
the
>muzzle brake still attached to the weapon will usually result in the
muzzle
>brake being ripped apart, which is why firing SLAP from the M107 sniper
>rifle is specifically prohibited :-/ (If you remove the muzzle brake
the
>rifle will survive firing SLAP, but OTOH your shoulder might not like
it
>that much...)

That's why I said they couldn't fire SLAP. "repeatability" is a
fundamental and implicit point. ;-)

Personally I don't want to be anywhere NEAR anything with as much energy
as a .50 BMG where there's issues with things coming off the Muzzel. Not
unless I've got a nice THICK armoured glass panel between me and the
weapon.

> >Were they testing the API or AP rounds?
>
>Doubtful.

>You might be surprised at how badly AP penetrators can behave in water.
>Being homogenous gives surprisingly little protection against breaking
up :-(

Well, in high speed ballistics test on things like steel core ammo vs
expanding ammo, the steel core stuff doesn't do all that much. Look at
how a 7.62x51 bullet behaves in a block of gelatin vs a smaller faster
round. I suspect it's  also going to depend on where the core is as
compared to the Lead. Is the Steel 'core' out front backed up by the
lead (not really a core?) or is it a different round with the steel core
along the entire length? How solid is the jacket? Where the weight is as
compared to the ogive of the bullet will affect how it behaves.

I expect a number of AP types will just start yawing and loosing energy
as they go through the water. Too deep and it's going to loose too much
energy, regardless of fragmentation or not. I'm sure there's a sweet
spot where the rounds will still have enough energy to punch holes below
the water line and keep on trucking into the lower part of the other
side.

Either way, being in anything short of an Armoured Cruiser or purpose
built armoured Monitor while someone fires .50 BMG at it is NOT my idea
of a good place to be. If all I have is an RPG or an AK, I'm going to
call it a VERY bad day.

-		  Data Center Operations Group		       -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		     One CNN Center SE0813 E   -
- Internet Technologies   --	     Data Center Operations    -
- Hours 9:30am - 5:30pm Mon - Fri     (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)    -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	   ( Suwanee and Manassas DCs) -
- Office: 404-588-6191		    e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com  -

Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question