Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] gross counting was weights

Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:39:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

At 11:21 PM -0500 10/28/08, Bill Brush wrote:
>As I recall they were using civilian standard full-metal jacket
>rounds.  Copper by appearance.
>
>On that myth they were testing to see how far under water you needed
>to be to be "safe" from being shot at.  Essentially all the
>high-velocity modern rifles disintegrated on impact with the water.
>Special use military rounds may hold together better but I suspect
>that a great deal of their kinetic energy is going to be spent in a
>very short distance.

>From what I understand is that different rounds
will loose their integrity under different
conditions or behave radically differently.
Bullet integrity is strongly linked to not only
the target struck, the speed at the time of
impact of the bullet but also towards how the
manufacturer designed and constructed the bullet.
Some will fragment quickly, others will not.

Take a look here and pay particular attention to the exhibits at the
bottom.
http://www.firearmstactical.com/wound.htm

In the context of .50 bmg, I'd expect some API
and AP in the mix for marine use. Those may yaw,
but aren't going to break up nearly as quickly.
Also, by the time they do start to break up,
you're still going to have problems with the
fragments carrying some velocity. More over, if
it does yaw in the water, that just means it's
going to key hole the hull side and not just make
a nice neat .5" hole.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] gross counting was weights