Prev: Re: [GZG] gross counting was weights Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] gross counting was weights

From: David Lalinde <papecomp@y...>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:29:35 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] gross counting was weights

> I can count up to 1023 (2**10-1)using both hands by using
> the fingers as
> binary digits, and I have seen people count to 10 on one
> hand - count
> from 1 to 5 normally (I.... is 1, IIIII is 5) and then go
> on bending
> fingers in reverse order ( .IIII is 6, ..III is 7 etc.)-
>
> But I never heard of counting specifically to 144.

Hi Karl,

This is a (hopefully) simple explanation:

-Use the thumb of the right hand to count the joints of your fingers in
sequence.
-When you get to the last joint of your little finger you have reached
twelve.
-Then carry one by touching your left thumb on the tip of your little
finger.
-Count through the joints again on your right hand when you reach twelve
carry one and move your thumb down a joint.
-So, when you reach the last joint of the second finger you have 36 (3 x
12), the first joint of third finger is 48 and so on up to 144 (12 x
12).

David

Prev: Re: [GZG] gross counting was weights Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question