Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Weights and measures was: Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] Weights and measures was: Hypothetical weapon question

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:50:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Weights and measures was: Hypothetical weapon question

> > And while we're at it, when did we stop using the good ol' Kelvin
scale
> > for
> > temperature measurement?? Geez, all I ever hear about anymore are
> > Farenheit and Celsius...
>
> I might be missing the sarcasm, but Kelvin is used a lot in
> physics and astronomy. Haven't heard of anyone mention
> Farenheit for ages, except once recently when none of us
> present could remember how to convert it to Celsius.

Yep, you missed the sarcasm. :-)   Yes, used a lot in physics and
astronomy,
but not so in the 'every day language' of the public, whereas Farenheit
and
Celsius are. Least ways, I hear both of those terms all the time, and
Kelvin
only if I'm looking up anything about stars (don't even hear Kelvin used
wrt
interplanetary exploration much; usually even there it's C or F).

Mk