Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question - now metric debacle Next: [GZG] Weights and measures was: Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:43:05 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

On Oct 27, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Tom B wrote:

> [TomB] Although flattering, and although I do have an affinity for
> the large number of my friends down there, I am Canadian. I do lean
> a bit right for our country, but that still makes me pretty middle
> of the road by USAian standards.

Based on the interaction I've had with NON Montreal and NON Toronto
type Latte snarfing Canukistani's, they're pretty much middle of the
road for USians who aren't of the New York/Chicago/DC/LA Latte
snarfing sort.

Most of the time they seem to have been associated with folks who
were in the "Canned Forces" miserableness.

> [TomB] Or the dreaded splinter group "Scottish-Canadian".

Ahh, the evil overlords of the French Canadians... Nearly to a Man
those of Canada who were decidedly PRO crown for years.

> [TomB] Mr. McCarthy is right, I grew up mostly in metric, but my
> Dad had a sign in the garage that read "English spoken here. Feet
> and not meters. Gallons and not litres. Pounds and not kilograms."
> and he called the Maple Leaf 'Pearson's Liberal Banner'. The only
> Canadian flag he'd acknowledge is the Red Ensign.

Aye, that's the sort.

> [TomB] From the top of my head: 1" = 25.4mm, 1m = roughly 39", 1
> quart = 946 mL (at least as they sell motor oil), 1 US gallon = 4
> liters (UK gallon = 4.5, Canadian Gallon = 4.55). 1 Canadian Dollar
> = an inexplicable 0.82 USD. 1 km = 0.62 miles, 1 metric ton = 2200
> lbs, 1 Stone = 14 pounds, 1 chain = 6 feet, 500mL = 1 guiness, 12
> dogs = 1 sled, and 1 Mountain Dew = 0 caffeine.

What about hundredweight!!!