Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: "Richard Bell" <rlbell.nsuid@g...>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:02:28 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:
> Well, some of NAC is European...
>
> I suppose we have to say TomB is an American, just not a 'Merican.
>
> Wait, Canadians made me drive in KM's, but use feet in common
> discussion?!?!?
>
> Oh, yeah, he was prolly talking down to his dimwitted southern
> neighbors. ;->=

I believe that it is just using units that most of the readers will
understand.  Contributing factors are entering school before 1975 (I
think TomB and I are rough contemporaries[we gamed irregularily, when
I was in Ottawa]), when the changeover happened, and how much inertia
pounds and feet have.  Gallons disappeared rather quickly, replaced by
smaller four litre jugs (our gallons were the volume of ten pounds of
water, not eight).  It was also handy for gasoline retailers as it
fended off the dreaded extra digit in the price for just over two
decades.  Meters are not useful for describing heights of people as
the range is almost entirely contained between one and two, while
using feet spreads the range to between four and eight.  Pounds are a
useful measure for food; although, the price is also listed in $/kg.
Eventually, these vestiges will disappear as height starts to be
described in decimeters, or even centimeters (but I think the numbers
of cm may be awkward, as they are smaller than inches), they reverse
the sizes of $/lb and $/kg, and parents can no longer explain what a
pound is, besides 454 grams.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question