Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

[GZG] Fun with RPGs - Re: Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: "Michael R. Blair" <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 02:38:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [GZG] Fun with RPGs - Re: Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

The IRA fired RPG-7s on occasion at police stations. One case I remember
was a warhead that went through at least one brick wall and probably a
security screen as well and failed to detonate. Of course it might have
been a dud – I doubt if storage had been ideal, it might have been
past its sell by date or it might have been a cheap copy and the end
user may well have messed up – the IRA always seemed a more
professional terrorist organisation (rather like saying a more efficient
cancer) than their protestant equivalents but even they must have had
their share of muppets.

Then of course there seems to be that trick from Afghanistan that made
them useable as a crude form of anti-aircraft weapon. Was that trick
previously covered on this list or another one? I think what impressed
me the most was the account from Grozney of them being used like
artillery – a barrage of them being fired at a very high angle to land
in another street if I understand it correctly. Human ingenuity,
especially when looking for ways to kill other humans, is astounding.

Michael

Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question