Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:25:51 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

hulls in most sailboats that are transatlantic capable are fairly
substantial. There's also a lot of hardware and inner content within
those
boats. I'm pretty certain a hit would detonate. The impact of the hit
would
be dependent on the warhead type. I believe some RPGs are HE, others are
more into the armour piercing realm, and still others may have fancier
warheads.

HE would be bad news - hull damage, maybe sinking, plus possible blast
effects or shrapnel (even if just from your boat!) affecting crew
members.
If they happen to hit the right place, they could dismast the boat
(maybe).
At the very least they could damage static and running rigging that may
render the boat incapable of maintaining way or incapable of steering.
And
you could end up shipping water (maybe even a lot of it).

HEAP or the like might just punch a small hole through the boat. But
then,
what might it hit on the way? Propane tank? Gas tank? Diesel tank?
Various
other critical pieces? Batteries? etc. It would be less serious, but
could
still leave you shipping water.

If you got more exotic warheads (don't know if RPGs can carry things
like a
cannister charge), then your results would depend on warhead.

The pintle mounted DShK would also be bad news for the average sailboat
(as
would an M2HB or even a good old RPK or the like).

And all they have to do is blow off your rudder, shred your sails, knock
off
a mast, or wreck some rigging and you're out of commission and they're
madder. And bullets would tend to make the task of sailing the boat more
challenging.

As to hitting: If they are in a motor launch, they'll be able to get up
alongside and there isn't much you can do unless you have one of those
superfast cats or a huge monohull. And then you've probably got a big
enough
crew and maybe small arms of your own. If they get alongside, it isn't
*that* hard to predict where a sailboat will be. It might take 2 or 3
volleys, but they may well have the ammo for that.

Sailboat, the choice is tough. I think I might well let them board and
then,
if I though I had to have a go, take it when they're aboard and they've
got
their people interspersed with yours and potentially weapons at hand to
be
acquired. Definitely in the 'rather never try that, thanks!' end of
things.

TomB

--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead."  --  Thomas Paine

   Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?