Prev: Re: [GZG] [CON] Support GZG ECC with a 2009 Calender from Lulu Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:31:22 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

Michael R. Blair wrote:
> I am disgusted by the scale creep that has led to 25mm becoming 28mm
and frankly I would not be surprised to see them continuing to grow.
It's happening. You see a lot of vehicles and scenery advertised as
"suitable for 25/28 mm", and there's stuff out there now that calls
itself "28/30 mm". It'll be 30/32 next, and so on.
>  This must be a horrible situation for the smaller companies: do they
stick with 25mm and become a backwater or do they go large and make all
their old figures obsolete?
Is there really _that_ much difference in size? Okay, 28mm is nominally
12% bigger than 25mm, but by the time you consider poses, helmets,
equipment and the like, do 28mm figs tower over 25mm all that much --
any more than, say, my 6-foot-7-inch son looms over my 6 feet? It
strikes me as slightly odd that these two scales are thought to be so
incompatible, especially in an SF setting when you can PSB your way out
of the size difference (low- or high-grav homeworld, genetic tinkering,
etc.).

If it was up to me, and the figures wsere available, I'd go for 1/72
scale (which is what? Between 20 and 25 mm?) as the standard, so as to
be able to use all the commercial kits and related stuff, and if I had
to incorporate some 1/75 figures, well why not? Gaming scales have
always seemed a bit odd to me anyway, not unlike railway model scales.
Let us never forget the joys of OO/HO scale -- and if train enthusiasts
can do so much with that, why do gamers have such problems with 25mm vs
28mm?

These are genuine questions, BTW. Being a vacc-head, I'm more used to
having to mix-and-match scales because starships don't come in
consistent scales. In some ranges, the scale isn't even consistent in a
single nation/faction's fleet (and I'm not talking about fighters being
out of scale with capital ships), much less between foes in the same
universe; and let's not even think about crossovers...!

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] [CON] Support GZG ECC with a 2009 Calender from Lulu Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?