Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?) Next: [GZG] tmp and unrelated 25mm

Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?)

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:40:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?)

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Is there anyone else who is still a 25mm player? Are there many of
us
> left? Is anyone choosing to buy 25mm over 15mm nowadays when buying
new
> stuff?

I have limited space in my apartment. When I play, it's usually a
smaller scale (15mm) or a skirmish game in 25mm. My historical games
are, of course, 15mm or 6mm.

> 2) Are most 25mm players biting the bullet and migrating to 15mm? Or
> resisting that transition?

Most of my Call of Cthulhu figures are 25mm, and that's all the
unpainted stuff I have in 25mm. I have a bunch of 15mm GZG figures I
still have to paint, but that's going to come after my 6mm World War
II stuff. (See the comment, above, about lack of space.)

Funny enough, I have enough 15mm GZG figures for quite a while, but I
need more vehicles.

Here's what I've found. In 15mm, the differences between, say, typical
NAC troopers and typical ESU troopers really isn't that noticeable at
a distance. The colour scheme you use is more important than having
the "right" models. So, I don't see a need for too many figures.

On the other hand, vehicles are so much more affordable that you
really can do an entire company in tracked, wheeled, GEV and grav.
That's a very expensive proposition in 25mm.

I'd have to say that I got sort of tired of SG2 being my primary
sci-fi game. It's a good game, but I simply get tired of playing the
same rules all the time. Unfortunately there's not much else out
there, so I'm finding my interest wandering.

Having said all that, I've always had an interest in skirmish games.
The pushing of FMA onto the back burner has really bummed me out (I
joined the playtest list a decade ago for this particular game). A
release of FMA would pique my curiosity in 25mm sci-fi again. In the
meantime, most of my miniatures focus has been WW2 6mm, and 25mm Call
of Cthulhu.

> I'm just curious if there are a bunch of potential 25mm consumers
sitting
> quietly out there or if I'm literally the last of a dying breed.

I would certainly play 25mm right now if there was interest in my
area, or if I had a way of drumming up interest. Unfortunately, while
I can play RPGs long distance I can't really do that with miniatures.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?) Next: [GZG] tmp and unrelated 25mm