Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?) Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?)

Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?)

From: martin connell <mxconnell@o...>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:45:23 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?)

Tom

Good questions all...

My personal opinion: True 25mm is... terminal. There are very few making
25mm historicals, and those that do are hawking old lines. Even fewer in
SF. The 28mm has superceded 25mm for almost two decades now. I have a
hard time picturing someone who is starting out choosing 25. I have seen
a number of suggestions on TMP for GZG to switch to the more
contemporary 28, but that is not in Jon's plan.

I believe Jon has mentioned he will get back to 25mm at some time, but
the fact is he has a pretty strong 25mm catalog already and is building
a 15mm line from scratch, so it seems only natural that's where his
focus will be for a while.

I think in a lot of ways, we are all struggling with the profusion of
scales. 15 years ago I had only 28mm and 6mm, now I primarily game in 15
(for the reasons you stated, but I was switching from GW to GZG, so the
new scale was not a hassle), but I still game in 6, 28, 40, and 54mm. I
have bought a limited amount of GZG 25mm, the figures because I wanted
larger versions for display, and a number of vehicles as they can still
work with 28mm.

So where does this leave you:
- Sounds like you have more figures than Jon has in stock. You can put
on huge games and supply both sides - that's good - you are not
dependent on finding an opponent with 25mm.
- You do miss out on the excitment of new releases in your scale, you
will have to continue to adapt toys and 28mm vehicles (fess up - that's
fun!). Couldn't some of those 15mm GZG tanks make some great remote
vehicles for 25? Couldn't those 15mm heavy weapons make great weapons
mounted on a jeep?
- Many manufacturers follow the GW model and roll their entire product
line every couple years. GZG doesn't do that and most of us true
believers think that's a good thing. But it does mean there must be some
reasonable limit on the size of any particular line Jon carries
otherwise it becomes an impossible thing to manage. At some point new
intros must stop/drop to a trickle. I think you NEED a new scale.
Really. You often run big games, think about 6mm - GZG and Brigade can
keep your credit card busy for a couple years there!

Best of luck!
Martin