Prev: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust Ship Names Next: [GZG] US Ban of Lead in Toys

Re: [GZG] Subject: [OFFICIAL] APCs, holidays, deals and stuff!

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:43:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Subject: [OFFICIAL] APCs, holidays, deals and stuff!

><'"http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.forces.gc.ca/wes/wes_e
quipments/lav_iii.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.forces.gc.ca/wes/equipments_e
.html&h=603&w=800&sz=168&tbnid=ypQ8rKjVTr0J::&tbnh=108&tbnw=143&prev=/im
ages%3Fq%3DLAV%2BIII&sa=X&oi=image_result>http://www.google.ca/imgres?im
gurl=http://www.forces.gc.ca/wes/wes_equipments/lav_iii.jpg&imgrefurl=ht
tp://www.forces.gc.ca/wes/equipments_e.html&h=603&w=800&sz=168&tbnid=ypQ
8rKjVTr0J::&tbnh=108&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLAV%2BIII&sa=X&oi=image
_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1

>1) Turreted Mortars: I wonder if this is more complexity than would
>be necessary. Usually, with vehicle-sized mortars, you'll be firing
>a fair distance. Your targets at those ranges won't necessitate
>sizable changes of arc (unlike engaging hostile infantry or tanks
>close in, the reason turreted DF weapons are popular). You'd think
>the mortar inside the hull would be just fine for that. (see the
>link above for an example)
>
>NOTE: Turreted AGLs make sense and the turret depicted there could
>be twin large-calibre AGLs. Alternately, a smaller twin AGL turret
>could be built. That sort of weapon is for short range DF or
>indirect engagement of infantry and soft skinned vehicles, so it
>makes sense for a turret.

Well, the idea behind it was that it could be used in multiple modes
- high-trajectory mortar fire for long-range support, and lower
trajectory for direct support where a turretted system would be
useful. Mounting it on a large vehicle chassis gives plenty of
storage for useful amounts of ammo.

>2) Ambulance Version: No turret? Jon? :)

Probably not worth producing as a separate mini (though if folks want
one, speak up!) - I'd just use the basic APCs and simply plate over
the turret hole, or graft a commander's hatch on there.

>3) Note the TOW under armour variant on the link. I think the system
>is mounted rearward for balance and for ease of reloading (spares
>probably have to be taken from the inside, heaved up onto the top
>deck, and loaded). This sort of design might predominate in missile
>systems. An Aliens APC style turret track that let you rotate the
>launcher down off the back and reload at ground level might also
>work.
>
>4) Note the LAV III's turret, fairly large to accomodate the RFAC
>and the MGs and sensors and people and ammo feed systems, is mounted
>centreline from the front and centreline from the side (or close to
>it). This is again probably for balance. The tipping issue is
>substantial in hilly places like Afghanistan. And it probably makes
>the vehicle a more steady weapons platform. I tend to think most of
>the larger turret systems would be centre mount if they don't have
>the reloading issues the missile system does. Especially if they
>have recoil-heavy weapons.
>
>5) Scout/Recce Turret: Jon? :0)

What armament?

>Just some thoughts.
>
>Also, kudos to Jon for making a nice looking tracked main hull and a
CEV.

Thanks!  :-)

Jon (GZG)