Prev: Re: [GZG] FT: Modern Naval Next: Re: [GZG] FT: Modern Naval

Re: [GZG] FT: Modern Naval

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:34:06 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT: Modern Naval

> [...]
> I remember playing Harpoon long ago, double blind, and only making
passing
> contact with the enemy (never getting into engagement range) - enemy
sub. I
> also remember playing some sort of plane (PC-3?) with harpoons against
> pair of Sovs... Krivak and Sovremny or something? Anyway, one was a
missile
> cruiser. I came in low from about 10:30 as it turned out. I detectd
them
> before they picked me up. I was able to dump an entire missile salvo (
4
> missiles ) the bank away and fly off board. The enemy players never
saw me.
> The 4 harpoons badly savaged both enemy surface craft, in part because
they
> could not get pivoted fast enough to bring their CIWS into line. They
tried
> intercepts with countermissiles and failed (part of it was they didn't
see
> the harpoons sea-skimming until quite late or something like that).

Good on ya.

I played one game of Harpoon. I was commanding the Soveremeny. :)  Long
story short, a Ticonderoga that was escorting a convoy pulled out of
formation to pick up a couple of helos that were running low on fuel and
wouldn't make it back to the fleet in time. We could see it with our
helo
and I set my Sov on an intercept course. When I got within range, I
unloaded
my full bore of Sunburn missiles.

The Tico fought them off bravely, defiantly, but really, in the end,
didn't
have a chance.

Only real victory the Russians got that game. The rest of the Russian
fleet
ran into two reconstituted US battleships throwing volkswagons at the
them.

> Harpoon is probably a pretty good simulation, but it can make for a
sucky
> game at times.

Yeah, I agree. It was an educational game, but it felt more simmy than
gamey.

Mk

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT: Modern Naval Next: Re: [GZG] FT: Modern Naval