Prev: Re: [GZG] Troop potential Next: Re: [GZG] FoW, Shows and Aimless Gamers

Re: [GZG] FoW, Shows and Aimless Gamers

From: "Michael R. Blair" <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 05:52:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] FoW, Shows and Aimless Gamers

FoW is tempting, the rulebook is beautiful and the miniatures are very
nice but 15mm is a new scale to me, I would be starting from scratch and
the miniatures do seem very expensive compared with, say, Peter Pig or
GZG. I would be tempted to use the rules with my existing 20mm Great
Patriotic War forces though. One of my local model shops (Netmerchants)
talked about getting it in but beyond a sample copy and a few miniatures
nothing happened, had they done so I would probably have been hooked and
reeled in.
There was a fair bit of FoW at Bovington this year, I was quite
awestruck at the row upon row of blister packs, something I never see
outside of GW, my one local (80 mile round trip) gaming shop does only
GW miniatures so going to a proper wargaming show was a great eye opener
for me. Someone had a lot of some new 6mm SF game, I forget the name
though. Quite well done but not that nice if that makes any sort of
sense. Now I am hooked though, I am wondering what other shows are
reachable, Glasgow is probably the closest but flights are not that
expansive now making most of them reachable. Leeds has the Royal
Armouries as well of course. I must check and see which ones GZG are
attending.
The latest set of rules I have is the few fantasy system from Two-Hour
Wargames, I have just printed out a copy and look forward to reading it
tonight. A friend is banging on about Warhammer but we just cannot
summon up any interest in any flavour of it so it looks as if this set
might scratch that fantasy itch for us and best of all whatever
miniatures we have will be peachy with it. We must get back to SF
though, now everyone can have their own rulebook and we must have enough
ships between us to make it work.
I feel a bit like Mr. Morden at the moment asking our group "What do you
want?" but no one has any useful answers leaving me with a slew of half
finished projects (what would the proper collective noun for that be)
and no idea what to work on. I am just puddling, finishing up several
just to tidy the place up. SF skirmish looks like the best bet so I
should maybe run off some copies of Stargrunt or actually read 5150!
Michael

 "It is by my order and for the good of the state that the bearer has
done what has been done."
Cardinal Richelieu, in The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

Prev: Re: [GZG] Troop potential Next: Re: [GZG] FoW, Shows and Aimless Gamers