Prev: Re: [GZG] Is this a good price? Next: Re: [GZG] Is this a good price?

Re: [GZG] FT Light: 5 is the new 6?

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:55:01 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT Light: 5 is the new 6?

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 3:33 PM,  <emu2020@comcast.net> wrote:
> > I agree here. You used the system to your advantage. In real life,
> designers
> > of weapons are going to push the envelope and find the savings in
weight
> and
> > component space if they can. All you did was find a way to do this
in the
> > game and nothing kept your friends/opponents from doing the same, so
who
> are
> > they to criticize.
> >
> > Sounds like sour grapes to me.
> >

> Honestly it's pretty much par for the course.  Take any sort of
> homebrew into a gaming club or store to play the canon forces in any
> sort of "competitive" game and 90% of the time you'll get a negative
> reaction unless the canon forces just clean house with the homebrew.
> At this point I can't even say it really surprises me.  Most gamers
> don't want to "push the envelope" and that's probably just as well as
> you will rapidly break games if you get into an arms race.  It does
> tend to make things a tad frustrating  for those of us who are
> habitually unsatisfied with stuff "out of the box."

And then there's the "we didn't think of it, so we don't like being
exposed
to it" attitude some groups tend to get. <shrug>

> After that I went into historical gaming because no one calls the WWII
> Germans "cheesy" because they have more heavily armored tanks, plus I
> played American so the equipment is mediocre at best.  Now I'm mostly
> retired from mini gaming, so things are much easier since the computer
> never complains that I'm not playing fair.
>
> Hah! Have you played Flames of War? I have heard many people cry
"cheese!!!!" whenever a German player takes things like Hummels,
Nashorns,
or heaven forbid, Ferdinands and Tigers (or King Tigers now). I've heard
the
"cheese" cry in the groups I play with, but not very often. I hear it
more
in groups I don't play with. Personally, I like playing the Germans
(particularly 21.Panzer and 10.Panzer, both in North Africa). They may
have
some really nice units, but they had their own challenges. Fielding a
Tiger
or two against a Strelkovy force is NOT going to win any games for the
German - but the other players don't want to see that. They just see
this
heavily armored beast rumbling around that they have nothing to stop it,
and
get fixated. I don't field my Tigers very often, but do now and again to
1)
keep my opponents on their toes, and 2) remind them to NOT get fixated
on
the thing. Over time, they have learned. Nowadays it's more trouble than
what it's worth to field a Tiger. But I'll still do it, because 3) it's
also
a tactical challenge for the German to utilize properly.

Mk

Prev: Re: [GZG] Is this a good price? Next: Re: [GZG] Is this a good price?