Prev: [GZG] (FT) The will be a game at NEGA-Con [Farmington, Maine, USA] Next: Re: [GZG] GenCon? (was Re: Historicon '08)

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG: FREEBIE OFFER FOR BFPO/APO TROOPS!

From: davebill <davebill@c...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:33:59 +1200
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] GZG: FREEBIE OFFER FOR BFPO/APO TROOPS!

Mark said:

> The ignorance level regarding the involvement of our allies in
> Afghanistan and Iraq is astounding here in the U.S. Recently at work
> some of my coworkers were making a few Canadian jokes (which I admit
> having joined in on) but it was getting a bit out of hand so I simply
> said "yeah, but they're doing their part in Afghanistan". They all
gave
> me a confused look and then said "But it's Canada, how much help could
> they be." I pointed out that the best sniper team in the world is from
> Canada (IIRC they won an international sniper competition two years in
> row) and they have been in Afghanistan kicking some serious ass.

<snip>

> I'm sure if you ran a poll here in the U.S. many people would
completely
> unaware what other allies were in Afghanistan fighting alongside our
> troops. At any rate, I'd like to say thanks to any troops taking part
in
> overseas conflicts for the service they do.

Hi Mark,

I don't want to start any flamewars or peeing contests, but I would
suggest
that the "ignorance level regarding the involvement of our allies"
stretches
right back to WWI. To be fair to the US, it usually contributes the most

material and man-power to any conflict and so less attention tends to be

paid in the American media (or such as is reflected back to us on the
outside) to the contributions made by any allies.

For example, would the words "Victoria Cross" or "Corporal Apiata" mean
much
to anyone outside of New Zealand and, perhaps, the UK?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Apiata

Or the work our Provincial Reconstruction Team is doing in Bamyan
Province?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamyan_Province

Small potatoes on the scale of things but, an occasional "thanks for
your
efforts" would be nice.

And BTW, thank you Jon for making the effort to bring a little gaming
goodness to the men and women stuck so far from home, but doing their
difficult job anyway.

Regards

David