Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier) Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier)

Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier)

From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <kh.ranitzsch@t...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:16:51 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier)

John Atkinson schrieb:
> And also buys into the myth of 'overwhelming economic resources' being
> the decisive factor.
>
> I never saw anyone killed with a chunk of GNP.

I would describe a tank or plane, a bullet or a nuke as a 'chunk of GNP'

You think they are produced by cargo cult magic ?

> Theories that take the fighting out of an analysis of warfare are
worthless on the face of
> it.

Depends on the level you are looking at.
Adam Tooze's 'The wages of Destruction' is thorough discussion of the
war against Germany at the economic level. Recommended, though rather
voluminous.

> Combat is the ultimate argument of nations, economics only sets the
> parameters of the combat.  Good fighting overcomes economics
> frequently.

That's what German and Japanese commanders believed. They got away with
it for a few years - until the allies got their act together to
outproduce AND outfight them.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier) Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier)