Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier) Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 88

Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 88

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:05:19 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 88

Doug Evans wrote:

>Maybe we can have hopes for a Stars At War III, er, IV? Nah, as it
seemed
>there was some reason Weber wasn't visiting the original fluff, in
spite,
>if I understand right, of him doing much of the expansion of it for
later
>additions. Pity...

Not just expansions. Weber wrote several editions of StarFire, including

GKW and 3rd Edition/Imperial Starfire, and designed the entire
historical
timeline.

Unfortunately he treated tech advances very much as literary plot
devices,
which made many of them extremely unbalancing for campaign play... and
when
some of his playtesters took over the game system and pruned his worst
technological excesses back to something that would allow the campaigns
be fun even to those players who got second to develop The Winning
Wondertech Gadget, he tired of StarFire altogether. That there were a
bunch
of misunderstandings regarding who had the rights to what parts of the
material didn't make it any better either.

>Wait, if Exodus ISN'T SAW III, then it would have to be coupled with
>another book for III, right?

Exodus takes place after Insurrection, but I'd be quite surprised if it
gets turned into a StarFire scenario module.

Regards,

Oerjan
orjan.ariander1@comhem.se

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier) Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 11, Issue 88