Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier) Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier)

Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:36:03 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

gerbeer John said:

Term of art.  It refers to a device which operates as a result of the
action
of the victim.	A tripwire, for instance,is victim operated because the
person who laid it does not detonate it, you do when you trip over it.
So
is a pressure plate, whether a factory-made one on top of a land mine or
pair of hacksaw blades hooked to a battery and a blasting cap.

[TomB] I understood that as soon as I heard it (in that sense, I guess
the
term is well chosen). It was a very literal, engineer-like description.
suppose other options might have been 'victim-triggered',
'victim-initiated'
or 'victim-activated'. I suppose you literally 'operate' the triggers on
these systems, but it does seem a rather antiseptic term for what is a
pretty unfortunate process (for the 'operator').

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier) Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Books (Weber/White/Meier)