Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:15:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

n:

Except, real mines, used wantonly are VERY poor
weapons if not covered by a force to engage the
people hitting the minefield.
---------
[Tomb] I'm not sure how that is 'except' since I never mentioned utility
or
deployment in the passage of mine you had quoted?

But I concur with you. Mines deployed without supervision are an
impediment
or threat to civilians or underequipped militaries (maybe not even
that).
Any worthwhile force will sweep them away or blow a passage through
them.
Similarly, a field that isn't of the right type won't be a big threat.

--------
Ryan:
Is your new trigger worked up in a garage? How do
you keep from blowing your self up if you're
doing it in a garage? If so, then it is an IED.
If it's done in a factory, its a Mk II or a MOD B
or some other designation of product improved
weaponry/ordnance.
-------

[TomB] The examples I'm thinking of would be done in a 'factory' but of
the
improvised sort and are thus an IED. But the charge they are driving may
well not be (although it could be a generation or two behind modern AT
mines).  What keeps it from blowing up during installation? One presumes
skill, caution and luck. If some of them blow up in the factories, that
certainly won't factor into the SG game.....  (unless the GM has it set
in a
campaign)
-------------
Ryan:
There are (reference to imported higher-tech IEDs -- TomB). In some
cases,
they're not really IEDs. But if it's just a warhead and the triggers are
home made, then it is technically an IED.

[TomB] My point in raising this was somebody mentioned how crappy these
are.
If they are getting imported IEDs with high(er) tech warheads and
perhaps
detonators, even if final assembly is local, then it is still an IED but
may
perform very similarly to a modern AT mine.

Separate point:

Someone asked why not represent them as an AT mine? Fine for DS2, don't
recall if SG2 covers AT mines very well or not. Wanted a better picture
of
how these things should be simulated. They seem often to have dodgy
operation and sometimes (depends on circumstance) can be quite large in
charge size although most are not. Some are roadside, others buried. I
wanted to get a good picture of the range of capability and performance
before putting pen to paper.
--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS