Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:50:07 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

On 7/16/08, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I take a big old-school (say 20 years out of date) anti-tank mine
and
> graft on a new triggering mechanism (say vibrations sensor vs.
pressure
> plate), does that make it an IED, even though it really was once a
> manufactured mine?

Yes, if you do it in an improvised manner--although that's a somewhat
misleading question.  US mines, for instance, all date from the 1960s
or earlier.  Some things just don't go out of date.  :)

> And I keep hearing about more effective bombs (or components of, or
> expertise to make same) being smuggled into the hot zones from places
> outside (Iran is mentioned a lot). The implication of the reporting is
that
> these are sophisticated devices that are not the province of backyard
> chemists. Are these considered actual mines? Or are they still an IED,
just
> using better shaped charges and so forth?

IED, because they use improvised initiators and EFP warheads
originally designed for the mining industry.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS