Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:57:16 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Eli Arndt <emu2020@comcast.net> wrote:
> One of the problems I'd see with these is that, once again, they are
> improvised from weapons designed in a very specific way. Take a bullet
out
> of a gun and you really don't get much bang from it. So much of a
bullets
> effectiveness comes from it being projected down a tightly enclosed
barrel.

> I suppose you could seed the area with buried zip gun rigs. This would
give
> the bullets some sort of barrel to shoot out of and preserve some of
the
> force provided by their powder charge.

If you're an insurgent operating in an area you don't control, you
don't have time to put all these rigs out.

If you're a real military, you're better off dispensing submunitions
that expel tripwires--many nations today make cluster bombs and
artillery shells that carry both AP and AT mines that can make an area
impassible until the self-destruct goes off to clear them.  Takes 2
minutes, maybe.

The only utility is an insurgent force that does not have sufficient
support to use real mines, but does have enough control of a 'safe
haven' that they can put this much effort into making it expensive to
take away.

John
and again. We're looking for thousands of Persians."
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS