Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:48:49 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Adrian1 <al.ll@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> How effective were the Viet Congs booby traps - specifically those
that
> used a captured 50 cal bullet buried in the ground while sitting on a
> nail.  I can only imagine that you could carpet an area in these very
> quickly.

Probably not 'quickly'.

> Would one of these cause sufficient damage to a vehicle to stop it.

Definitely not.  .50 cal won't penetrate AFV armor if fired out of a
weapon unless it is quite lightly armored.

> Presumably, its possible to do the same with large rounds like the
25mm
> HE rounds.

The primers aren't as easy to set off, and the round is much
larger--the round would tend to fall over rather than go straight
down, especially in sand or moist soil.

John
and again. We're looking for thousands of Persians."
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS