Prev: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS Next: [GZG] Subject: Re: What are the pitfalls of standardised

Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:34:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Armoured utility vehicles and IEDs in SG/DS

At 5:11 PM -0400 7/14/08, Tom B wrote:
>It isn't just the detonating of mines through ground pressure - modern
mines have initiators that include sonic (trust me, a GEV will set one
off) and electromagnetic sensors of various sorts (could be grav sensors
in the future). If you can put a grav sensor on a single chip as a
sealed unit for cheap, you can easily make anti-grav mines.

There are off route mines that'll fire an EFP projectile at a specific
sensor format. Thus you can have  mine that'll shoot ONLY Warsaw pact
tanks based on a defined set of audio characteristics. CERTAINLY within
the scope of the GZG verse, you can have off route mines and mines
themselves that'll ignore friendly or neutral vehicles and attack enemy
forces. Though, one might have to play with Stealth, GMS AND/OR ECM type
rules.

>I'm not sure if mines use any sort of self-forging penetrator, but if
they do, GEV fans are at risk. If they use an EMP pulse as a payload,
GEVs and Grav vehicles may be at risk. Some sort of anti-grav field mine
may also be feasible (lord knows, in ST the warp drive was always
overloading or feeding back or something).

The IRanians are supplying Insurgents on both sides of the Shia/Sunno
line with EFP projectiles for their IEDs using all sorts of initiators
that are line of sight (IR beams), command detonated, and other sorts of
trigger mechanisms.  The 1st world Offroute mines are a combination of
Missiles, launched top attack EFPs and the like. One could certainly
expect to see a mine that's a DFFG that's a single use weapon for off
route or on route mine functionality.

>The thing about a Grav Tank (inference from the SG2 rules on
non-penetrating hits) is that hull armour, which is all over equal
thickness armour in canonical SG/DS, protects the suspension parts.
That's a pretty good deal, even against self-forging penetrators. Might
not help vs. EMP but maybe backup systems would. In this respect, among
others, Grav would be the technology of choice when you could get it to
the battlefield.

Imagine a mine tailored for GEVs. It fires a line of VERY tough
monofilament into the air near GEVs. That goes into the air intakes and
fods the engines or fans. Though that might just need a VERY good screen
system. Hmmm....

-		  Data Center Operations Group		       -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		     One CNN Center SE0813 E   -
- Internet Technologies   --	     Data Center Operations    -
- Hours 9:30am - 5:30pm Mon - Fri     (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)    -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	   ( Suwanee and Manassas DCs) -
- Office: 404-588-6191		    e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com  -