Prev: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces? Next: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

From: "Ryan GIll" <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 13:44:00 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Re infantry carried as part of a tank force....

If you look at the armoured cav use in vietnam or british recce units in
wwii, you'll see examples of platoons/troops with infantry as one of the
several weapons of the platoon in question. I can see a cav doctrine
that integrates the apc and the tank in one vehicle and has every
vehicle able to engage heavy targets with the heavy armament and
dismount infantry to do infantry type things.

However there are times when your tanks must do one thing and your
infantry another. If that requires that your infantry move over ground
the tanks can't cover and its a long way, you may have problems with
that.

That's not to say I haven't designed some super heavy vehicles with
infantry space. I haven't worked out that system much.

I thinkl the main problem is goingto come with vehicle ergonomics
though. Infantry want a large high volume so they're not stuffed in a
can like soviet bmps. Combat kit on a grunt takes up room. So do thei
heavy weapons and other parts. A large and high compartment doesn't work
well for the back of a tank.

The merkava works only as a way to carry a very small squad and that
cuts into their ammo supply for the main gun. If you want infantry very
close with your armor, stick them in heavy apcs and use some light
weapons on those. Like an overhead weapon station with an atgm. Add some
extra mgs if you want it more urban combat capable.

--
Ryan Gill
sent from my treo