Prev: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces? Next: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

From: "Don M" <dmaddox1@h...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:34:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

One thing I notice here is an assumption that when using the MBT chassis
that the same amount of armor will be used. You could use the same drive
train and general hull but lesson or increase armor to fit the role that
the
vehicle will fill. This of course is not full standardization, but it
would
greatly reduce the more prevalent supply issues which are drive systems
and
frame.

I'm going by my experience here, granted it was in the US army it has
it's
own way of doing things. Our tanks were designed from the ground up
component by component to be a heavy tracked monster. As a consequence
virtually none of the parts are interchangeable with lighter vehicles.
I'm
not saying that what you propose is not possible just unlikely given our
procurement policies. Perhaps a smaller more logical government and
military
could do it. The only thing I see as a possible problem is insuring that
the
track and drive train can handle the heavy configuration as well as the
light.
>From a miniature manufacturer's stand point, your quite right.

Don