Prev: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces? Next: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

From: "Michael R. Blair" <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:36:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] What are the pitfalls of standardised forces?

Interestingly I have seen the point made several times by
people who should know what they are talking about (Jane's Armour 2000 I
think) that
it would be a very good idea for an army to standardise its tracked
vehicles on
their standard tank chassis and running gear for the MBT, SPGs, APC and
so on.
This would make the tank considerably cheaper and enormously simplify
maintenance and spares. The APC would be larger than the current ones
allowing
either more men to be carried or much better protection and it would
move at
the same rate as the MBT which is apparently a good thing.

Personally I found the argument persuasive but no army has
done this, though from what little I know of military procurement this
means
very little. The ingenious and thrifty Israelis have converted captured
and superannuated
tanks to well protected APCs and IFVs and I would think their experience
would
be convincing.

Michael