Prev: Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different... Next: Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different...

Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different...

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:12:47 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] And now for something completely different...

At 12:25 PM -0400 7/11/08, John Lerchey wrote:
>This is actually pretty interesting stuff to me. :)
>
>So far, my human forces all have 4 tank platoons.  Not for any really
good reason - they just felt right.  Now I understand a little better
why that is.  I have some in 3 tank platoons, but on the assumption that
the number of platoons per company would not differ, but that the one
tank type I'm using is not in good supply, and thus, they run with short
platoons.  Not ideal - just what they have to work with. :)

>Some of my aliens are in 3 tank platoons, but mostly cause they look
neat in little Vs heading across the table.

>I hadn't thought of making multi-vehicle scout sections.  I typically
run them as individuals.  I may see how many total I have for my Order
scout jeeps and re-do them.  Scouts will operate in pairs, while FO
teams might run around individually.

Looking at the WWII Brit Recce squadrons (my main hobby, that's why I
have the armoured cars), I discovered that theres some amazing
flexibility on the part of the table of organization and use in
doctrine.

A Recce Troop (a platoon in British parlance) had:

HQ Section
1 Lt on a carrier (light APC)
1 Lt on a heavy armoured car (wheeled light tank)
a motocycle for communications to the rear and light errands

Recce Section
2 scout cars
2 'heavy' armoured car

Carrier Section
3 bren carriers

2nd Carrier Section
3 bren carriers

They initially had 5 light armoured cars (Light Recce cars actually)
that were eventually replaced with scout cars and armoured cars. The war
diaries of more than just 15 recce shows that they'd split the troop up
and one LT would go with the armoured cars and one would go with the
carriers. There were 3 of these Troops in a Squadron with a 4th Troop
having 4-5 APCs (Half Tracks) with a full 4 sections of infantry, known
as the assault troop. The actual combat formations could have a pair of
halftracks assigned to a recce troop which may have had several carriers
to accomplish particular tasks.

There were of course supporting elements for the whole set of 3
Squadrons in the form of rear echelon support AND Anti-tank guns and
mortars also mounted/towed on/by bren carriers or llyod carriers.

The US Cav Scout Troops of the Vietnam era mirror this a great deal as I
mentioned with a 3 and 5 setup of tanks to apcs. The tanks and apc's
being much larger than their WWII counterparts with more infantry able
to be carried and more firepower.
-		  Data Center Operations Group		       -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		     One CNN Center SE0813 E   -
- Internet Technologies   --	     Data Center Operations    -
- Hours 9:30am - 5:30pm Mon - Fri     (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)    -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	   ( Suwanee and Manassas DCs) -
- Office: 404-588-6191		    e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com  -