Prev: Re: [GZG] GW Next: Re: [GZG] GW

Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

From: emu2020@c...
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:13:43 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_24183_1215702823_2

re isa big difference between custom-made parts and showing a reader how
to do so and showing them a DYI project that uses unobtainable parts.
The only reason I find GW particularly nasty in this is because they are
not positioning themselves or their products/articles as projects for
experienced modellers in the hobby world.

I am not anti-GW. I am not happy with themself based on very real things
that happened to me as a player and a customer based on decissions and
choices that thecompany chose to make that did not need to be done. I do
not dislike GW games. I have stated more than once, that I enjoyed their
games until their business practices made them bad choices for me.

When it came down to it the cost/value of playing GW just wasn't there.
There are plenty of other games produced by less corporate companies or
even by companies that are very corporate that do not show such a
blatent disregard for loyal customers. GW doesn't want/need loyal
customers. They want you to drop a ton of cash play til you get bored
and make room for then ext 10 kids that are going to blindly have their
mommies buy them a stack of lead til they get bored and move on.

GW prices their merchandise wherever they want and it has nothing to do
with cost of production. To be honest, they sell enough of their figures
that they could easily charge less for figures and make up their numbers
in bulk sales. There was a time when I could afford to play 4-5 GW
armies all at once. Now, I would consider myself insane for trying to
purchase a single one.

Go out and drop $200 on a GW army and see how much play you can get out
of what you just bought. Then, go out and drop $200 on nearly any other
miniatures game and see what you can come up with an how much play you
will get out of it. Even if you buy mainly plastics, GW's plastics are
so inverted on their pricing it's crazy.

This is not just hater talk, this is their game plan as expressed to me
by GW employees as well as just a simple, basic, common sense analysis
of their marketing model.

Now, I think this discussion has gone on long enough and I really am
tired of defending my educated opinion on the matter. If it's a good
value to you, play GW's games. If it were a good value to me, I'd still
play them too. Their company has done nothing to build any comsumer
trust or loyalty in me.

Thank you all for putting up with this thread,

Eli
From: John Tailby <john_tailby@xtra.co.nz>

I didn't glance over your comment I carefully considered it against my
own experience in reading modelling magazines for the best part of 30
years.

Yes there are examples of GW modelling projects that are beyond the
average gamer where the makers got things cast. There are people in my
Club that have gotten into resin casting and can make rubber moulds and
resin or plaster casts of a whole range of components. It's an ideal way
to make items for conversions or terrain projects.

You have stated before that you don't like GW games or practices. It
seems like all you posts are themed around GW "the great Satan" of
wargaming and that they do all these things that are wrong.

Why position the item so that it looks like GW did something uniquely
bad and wrong? When the scenario you describe isn't signficantly
different to what other modelling magazines have featured for years. If
the GW staffer doing the feature that upset you because they got one of
their mates at the company to cast them some components would you have
been happier if they had gotten 20 kitsets and dumped them after using
one component? That the kind of thing modelling magazines can do because
they get the free kits to review.