Prev: Re: [GZG] DS3? Next: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help

Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 17:27:06 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

Heya Ryan,

>Yeah, I fully agree.  It would make for some neat side-bar kinds of
actions
during a normally restricted game.  We do it with air assets as well -
call
in a ground attack strike, move the fliers in, hit things, and go away.
No
reason not to allow an air cav unit or whatever to hold off in the
wings, or
fly out to hit enemy artillery, or whatever.  Opens up some neat
possibilities.

I would suggest that you put the action in an abstracted form where the
scout element searches for it on graph paper or something.

>From my readings on scouting and recce assets of wwii, you rarely went
out
looking for a specific unit, sometimes you'd come across one at a
particular
feature, but when something like an artillery unit was found it was
usually
by chance.

----

My own thought is that this now makes it too complicated for a GZG game.
want minis and I want dice and I want only a handful of tables - not
hexes,
not impulse charts, not a gazillion little fiddly extra rules for this,
that, and the other thing.

Rather than mapping it out I'd give each overall unit a die based on
tech
and/or skill (or one of each perhaps) and have them roll off each turn
see if the searcher can find the attacker.

For each turn that it remains stationary the searcher gets a cumulative
+1
to find it or something like that. Alternately (or in addition to) if it
fires and does not move then it can automatically be located as attacked
in
the following turn (even if it is moving at that point).

How's that? It makes scouts even better - find 'em, follow 'em, then
call in
an air strike...

Certainly some bugs to work out, but I think it's a basically workable
premise.

D. Rodemaker

Prev: Re: [GZG] DS3? Next: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help