Prev: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations Next: Re: [GZG] GW and Re: Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:31:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

Dave,

Yeah, I fully agree.  It would make for some neat side-bar kinds of
actions during a normally restricted game.  We do it with air assets as
well - call in a ground attack strike, move the fliers in, hit things,
and go away.  No reason not to allow an air cav unit or whatever to hold
off in the wings, or fly out to hit enemy artillery, or whatever.  Opens
up some neat possibilities.

gzg-l-bounces@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu
> [mailto:gzg-l-bounces@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of John
> Lerchey Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 10:47 AM To:
> gzg-l@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery
> considerations
>
> In DS3, I too would love to be able to send recon or fast attack units
> off to go nail enemy artillery, once the CBS has locked into an area
so
> that I'd know where to send them.  The problem generally lies in how
far
> off table they are.  In DS3, there are off table zones, but they are
not
> well defined. I can tell you how many Tactical Combat Rounds it takes
an
> incoming mission to get to the table, but that does not tell me how
long
> it takes a platoon of fast attack vehicles to get to them across
unknown
> terrain types once they've left the appropriate side of the table. :(
>
> I could likely write something up to handle it, but I'm certain that
it
> would be overly arbitrary and likely abusable.
>
> Love the idea though.

>> Ok, and here - as a scenario/campaign/game designer is where I also
see
>> a huge potential for added nuance and, dare I say, complexity.
>>
>> If there are off table assets, especially if we are going to
represent
>> them with minis - I love the idea of being able to allocate assets to

>> going and finding and then destroying them.
>>
>> This could obviously be aerospace/VTOL/grav/whatever - but it could
>> just as easily be small, fast moving units of ground troops as well.
Or
>> hell, how about just a couple of squads of elite commandos who have
been
>>  sneaking around waiting for their chance to act?
>>
>> I really have to say that I like the idea of artillery being
abstracted
>>  like aerospace support. I like the idea even more of being able to
>> degrade it in various ways if you want to spend the points to try and
do
>> it - essentially a minigame (or extra layer of tactics/strategy if
you
>> prefer).
>>

>> D. Rodemaker
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From:
>> gzg-l-bounces@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu
>> [mailto:gzg-l-bounces@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of John
>> Lerchey Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 9:06 AM To:
>> gzg-l@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery
>> considerations
>>
>> I tend to put the artillery unit on a side table, or behind the
>> baseline. I also put out ammo tenders, AA/ADS, CBS, command, and any
>> other assets in the unit.  In the event that there a counter battery
>> mission, I want to be able to actually move the minis if they're
gonna
>> scoot.
>>
>> Besides, it's a miniatures game.  I want miniatures. :)
>>
>> That all said, I play in 6mm and do DS, not SG.

>>> Just a quick question to all, related to this subject:
>>>
>>> When you use off-table artillery (in any game system or period), do
>>> you represent it by actual minis kept behind the baseline, or does
it
>>> just exist on paper? With my commercial hat on, obviously I'd rather
>>> that folks used models for it, so we can sell the arty pieces and
stay
>>> in business... ;-) This is, I guess, the major reason why FoW (for
>>> example) uses it's
>> odd
>>> logarithmic ground scale compression and insists on all artillery
>>> being on the table - so folks have to buy and deploy the models for
>>> it. Certainly for both aesthetics AND our sales, there is a good
case
>>> for saying that off-table assets should be modelled on a little
>>> "sub-table" diorama behind the player's baseline. Doing this also
>>> means that things like counter-battery and airstrikes against enemy
>>> artillery can actually be gamed out using the normal rules rather
than
>>> abstracted, if you so wish.
>>>
>>> Jon (GZG)

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University