Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:08:02 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations

On Jul 8, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Allan Goodall wrote:

> Where it can get a little tricky is in the use of onboard artillery.
> Should the other guy's artillery defence system have a chance to stop
> onboard mortar and indirect artillery? Or do we assume that it's so
> close to the battlefield that the time of flight is too short? Could
> just be a case of shifting a die up or down to represent the
> difficulty in hitting someone else.

I would say, no, by the time you get a flix, the other guy should be
done with his TOT mission and, unless he's being lazy should have run
like a scalded cat from the just used firing point. Given that
current systems can put 10 rounds down range in 60 seconds and then
be moving should help on avoiding that counter battery mission.

More over, I have always figured that if you're on table, you're
subject to getting spotted by a scout and getting zapped that way. A
bigger board is easier BUT with a bigger board, it's easier for
Flying craft to find a way past the Air defenses and see your or kill
your artillery. Naturally, I've always liked the neatness as to how
counter battery was possible if your opponents fired from the same
spot on table twice in a row. Shoot and scoot missions being de-rigur
if my opponent had Counter battery.  Look for emitters in his rear,
if you see a vehicle you don't recognize WITH an artillery vehicle or
two and it's emitting, then you're probably detecting some sort of
Counter battery radar AND you'd better NOT be lazy on shoot and
scoot. I immensely love the rock/scissors/paper that the Air defense/
AD/Artillery/Counterbattery radar/Aircraft make for the game.

Still, I prefer, in a good sized Dirtside game to have,

1 set of infantry based mortars on tracks (roll up, dismount, fire
missions) they're relatively cheap and can get GOOD missions off.
1 set of on table gun/howitzer based artillery back in my rear with
an airdefense vehicle attached AND a Counter battery vehicle attached
if possible.
1 set of off table artillery for really big stonks when I want
something dead right bloody now.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!