Prev: [GZG] Artillery Time of Flight Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 14:16:04 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery

> But normal artillery survey techniques require fairly good maps of the
> area you're fighting over.  The point is that you have to know where
> you are and where the enemy is in order to do the math as to how to
> get a quantity of explosive from where you are to where the enemy is.
> The speed of modern techniques comes largely from computerizing this
> process rather than doing manual math or going off paper charts.  If
> you don't have a way to do this AT ALL, then you cannot conduct
> effective artillery fire AT ALL.
>
> One caveat, if you have ships in orbit, you have the ability to map
> the planet quite well I should think.

Counter-caveat(s) :

Clouds

Weather systems can be substantial. Mars maybe not so much. Earth, quite
bit, depending on location and season. Venus, total.

And/or other airborne particulant matter inherent to a given planet that
might interfere with other sensors/detectors.

Mk

Prev: [GZG] Artillery Time of Flight Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery