Prev: Re: [GZG] SG2 WW2 conversion (Allan Goodall) Next: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

From: "Ryan Fisk" <ryan.fisk@g...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:06:26 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 1:26 AM, davebill <davebill@clear.net.nz> wrote:
> Beth said:
>
> <snippage>
>
>> 2) As a female and a mother I actually really dislike the images
>> presented in the background world for W40K. They are not nice
basically.

> As a bloke and a father I agree with you. There is something
inherantly
> nasty about the imagery in the artwork in the books, magazines and
> poster/box art. I'm not sure if it's something particularly British
(or
> particular to a segment of British culture) but I kind of noticed it's
> development in comics like 2000AD in the late '80s - weird but
interesting
> became weird and twisted and then twisted and psychotic and hyper
violent.
> It's almost a cliche to walk into a GW shop, nowdays, to find a group
of
> black-tee-shirt wearing young guys hanging around listening to Death
Metal.

I'd rather play SG or DS or FT than 40K or Epic or BFG, but, I LOVE
the background to 40K (since Rogue Trader).  Without really ever
saying it out loud, it's Science Fantasy horror.  The 40K universe is
horrific, and honestly that's what I like about it.  Both 40k and
Warhammer Fantasy posit settings right out of the best stories of H.P.
Lovecraft, only instead of Mythos, it's Chaos (and Necrons and Orks
and even Eldar).  I'm in my mid 30s, but I do love Death Metal, so go
figure :-)

My wife loves the 40K setting too, but she's not a fan of Death Metal
and could honestly care less about what rules we play, she just likes
to see her Nids eat things.

--
Ryan Fisk