Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery

[GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:14:53 -0400
Subject: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

wrote:

> True to a certain extent.  And if we were discussing a WWII game, it
> would be relevant.
>
> But modern artillery needs only moments to prepare to fire.  The long
> setup times to conduct indirect fire in WWII were required to
> accurately survey the gun positions, something done by GPS positioning
> nowdays.  And precision fires means something different than it did in
> WWII, especially with smart projectiles and submunitions.  A "movement
> to contact" or a "meeting engagement" will involve artillery, not
> merely a set piece battle.  And believe me, the mobile defenses
> envisioned by NATO doctrines of the 1970s and 1980s certainly included
> a heavy dose of artillery as a major method of killing Soviets.

One thing that's niggled at me about artillery (and something I need to
take
up with Oerjan for DS3) is the presumption of ultra-accurate artillery
and
the PSB of a GPS system. Maybe I'm not using my imagination enough to
expand
on the SF possibilities, but what if...

1) you don't own the satellites, or don't have the frequency, or
2) there ARE NO satellites (either never put in place - back water
colony
world - or were knocked out by the invaders (who may have put their own
up
but your HK sats killed them))

How would you PSB ultra-accurate artillery then? And doing gun survey
positions, etc?

Mk

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! - Artillery