Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 20:06:17 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

artillery can accurately and quickly demolish  mobile armies then you
could easily end up with SCIFI ww1. Tanks would become extinct and it
would all be about large zones of no mans land patrolled by observer
drones
Traditionally artillery has lower mobility than tanks, takes longer to
set up and requires observation of the target to be effective. I am
thinking of WW2 mostly here
If artillery has the same mobility and kill power as main tank rounds
and can do so indirectly then it will truely have come a long way
towards being the dominant life form.
Another way to ensure that artillery is ballanced at low tech levels is
to have games that are not simply prepared battle. A lot of cold war
soviet doctrine focussed on the idea of an encounter battle where 2
divisions advanced to contact. Pretty much every general I read about
from Haig onwards wanted to break past the defences and get into a war
of manouvre.
I reckon wars of manourvre make for an interesting game, assault games
are interesting as well but should not be the only game type.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!