Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

From: "Robert Mayberry" <robert.mayberry@g...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 13:10:18 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

I think that the issue is that they wanted to create a medieval
setting with giant walking robots. The rest then became "how can we
build a setting where this isn't ridiculous".

On one hand, it's the soft-science fiction approach. On the other
hand, *every* setting is to some extent soft. Some systems are
(science) FICTION, and some are SCIENCE (fiction) and many are in
between.

The short answer is that it boils down to Burnside's Zeroth Law (with
thanks to Nyrath). Even FMA does this. It passes much more of a smell
test than BattleTech or 40k, but we should remember that, like any
speculation about the future, it's almost certainly wildly wrong.

The real question is, is it fun? IMO, it's both fun and illuminating.
Someone asked earlier what they thought the value of SG/DS are. To my
mind, there are two big things: 1) you can customize it for lots of
settings; 2) it's got great gameplay: fast but rich; and 3) it
accounts for the psychological and command/control stuff that  many
games miss or don't get quite right.

BTW I mentioned a few months ago that I'm running some numbers on the
economics of cargo hauling. I'm still doing it-- I've run through the
financial statements of several big corps in that space-- but my RL
research work is on the front burner. So I'll have something when I
have something. :)

--
Robert Mayberry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!