Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:27:29 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:31 AM, John Tailby <john_tailby@xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

> That's a bunch of broad generalisations about GW gamers John, but it's
an
> opinion so I won't rip into it with demands for facts. When did you
last
> play the game? Some of the comments you make about the rules sound
like
> older versions.

Shortly after I dropped Battletech for excessively silly rules, and
shortly before I started playing Stargrunt in a serious manner.  At
least one edition ago.

> Count me and my wargaming club mates, the tournament scene I play in
all as
> hood wearing cultists then. None of us are kids. BTW watch out we are
> everywhere.

The words "tournament scene" immediately conjure up a gaming
environment that I react poorly too--but then again, that's my
particular way of looking at gaming.  Unlike some people, I have no
problem saying, "if you like that sort of thing, knock yourself out."

> I don't think you can take a scifi wargame and apply too much real
world
> tactics. The capabilities of some units are completely unimaginable
with
> conventional tactics.

Principles apply--whether a tank flies or not is surprisingly
irrelevant to how one uses it.	Flanks are flanks, massing fires is
massing fires, and keeping a reserve ALWAYS matters regardless of
whether you've got WWII paratroopers or orks riding pigs--unless
you're playing with some sort of extreme time limit.  The
tactic-breakers tended to be the more fantastic elements--teleporting
eldar commandos with instakill weapons that ignore cover, giant
demons, etc.  Seriously, is a Vindicare assasin (that's the one with
the spiffy rifle, right?)  that much different from a sniper team on
the rooftops of Baghdad? At least when it comes to effects, that is.
Space Marines are tougher than normal infantry, but WWII and modern
tactics generally worked with them.  Then again, my force was built
around tactical squads with heavy weapon and armor support, rather
than flying chainsaw troopers.	And even those are easily equated to
the traditional cavalry role, just with technological replacements for
the horse.

John
and again. We're looking for thousands of Persians."
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!