Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:09:01 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

ere's no version of carboard cutouts for any 3d figure wargame that I
>know of.

Just for laughs, take a look at the original WarHammer Fantasy box which

came complete with cardboard cut-out figures for the intro scenario...
:-)

But of course you will disregard that example since GW stopped doing
that
many editions ago <shrug>

My what a hornet's nest...
I think this is a great example..
When there were no figures that were available to support the scenario,
IIRC this was the one that looks like the 7 Samurai homage with hero's
played by the players and a host of Slann attacking. At that time I
don't think GW made the appropriate figures to support the scenario so
why not include carboard substiutes.
I don't doubt that all games companies play test with proxy models. GW
had some of Andy Chambers conversions and scratchbuilds for the orkish
BFG ships in one of the White Dwarfs.
Aspects of this discussion have taken on the find of disagreements that
you get from debates about theology or politics. I don't expect anyone's
opinions will be changed as a result of this discussion. I can't
actually think of any internet discussion where anyone has changed a
strongly held opinion. I think it's very funny that people take the role
of anit GW zealot so seriously. Privateer Press seems filled with people
that defected out of GW games and now spend a huge amount of energy
justifying their decision.
If you want to play 40K you only need to worry about using the correct
models if you want to play in a GW shop or one of their events. If you
only want to play with your mates then you can use whatever you want.
You can also make up whatever house rules and alternate lists that you
want. You can even take some non-gw figures to a GW event they are
called "conversions or scratch builds." As long as you don't rub the
alternate models in the organisers face you will be OK. Most GW players
I know will look interested at other companies models.
I think WYSIWIG is an important part of gaming. I want to know what the
models are and be able to recognise the force disposition at a glance. I
imagine playing any game where you can't tell who is the sergeant and
what kinds of support weapons the squad has are important. Especially if
you don't know your opponent very well, it could be easy to get
confused about the nature of the models you are shooting at and the
models with the special gear might be the ones that miraculously
survive.
I played in GW events where they were not rigerous about WYSIWIG and the
confusion about which model had what and the potential for cheating
brought an unpleasant feel to the event, that hasn't ben present with
the insistance on WYSIWIG.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!