Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 15:33:34 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

I used erroneous data to support my arguments then so did you. It's
rather pointless giving a review of a game that you don't play and don't
like. I don't think your review of 40k was balanced at all.

You talk about constant change and army invalidation. GW struggles to
maintain a 5 year renewal cycle on its rules and army list books. I
don't think 5 years is an unreasonable time to update rules and army
books.

In 15 years of playing 40k to my knowledge GW have only dropped support
for one race, because they could figure out a way to make inspirational
figures and rules for it any more. As has been noted they are a figure
making company and need good figure sales to support their business.
Some new versions of the rules and army lists invalidate or change the
most efficient builds of some armies. But this is often a reflection of
the designers trying to correct their mistakes. Surely they should have
an opportunity to do this.

From what my friends have said (who play the game more than me and so
are qualified to comment), Privateer Press have painted themselves into
a corner with some of their initial version of war casters. Initial
versions of war caster Sorcha were found to be unbelievably good how
then to the game designers fix this.

In regard companies running events. I don't think it unreasonable that a
company running an event insists that its product be used. I don't
think that Oracle would like software products based on .net being
demonstrated at one of their trade shows. If a company wants to
organise an event and then allow other manufacturers products to be used
then good on them. In New Zealand, Flames of War don't allow other
companies models at their tournaments and certainly don't encourage or
support you using other companies models events in other countries and
those run by independent stockists might well have other rules.

I found some of comments very funny. The same people who said they were
very interested in games based on Aliens, with shooting marines vs.
close combat aliens, said they didn't like how 40k had units that did
nothing but run into combat. Sorry but what else does an Alien do? You
could use 40K to produce a very massive aliens type game, I don't think
40k would be detailed enough for a replay of the Aliens movie, but if
you wanted 100 Colonial marines vs. 100 Aliens and to finish the game
in 2-3 hours then you could use 40k.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!