Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 17:56:37 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Another question: SF game styles...?

On Tuesday 01 July 2008 09:49:43 Ground Zero Games wrote:
> A quick poll-type question where everyone can chip in with their
opinions:

> What style(s) of SF ground combat game do you prefer, and why?
>
> Possible categories:
>
> (a) "Realistic" games that are a serious projection of current
> technology/tactics/organisation, with a few SF ideas added?
>
> (b) Games based in a specific "hard SF" background, true to the
> source material even if some of it has already been overtaken by Real
> World stuff (Hammer's Slammers and Aliens are prime examples...)?

When I think of Hard SF, I tend to think of authors such as
Greg Bear, Stephen Baxter, Vernor Vinge or Charles Stross.
None of them would translate well to the gaming table
(though the Tines might be interesting to model in SG).

I think soft SF settings like Traveller or the GZGverse are
reasonably well suited to gaming - they ignore the very
probable advances that would make gaming difficult, whilst
having a bit of the stuff that allows for some fun options
(anti-grav and FTL (minus any pesky time travel)).

Something that could handle a setting like Transhuman Space
or Ghost in the Shell would be very interesting, but also
I think hard to do.

So, I think (a), with options covering things like anti-grav,
cybershells and zombies/xenomorphs (being able to do something
like 28 days later, or even Doom, would be nice - so add Horror
to the list of genres) which can be layered on top (but not
part of the core rules) would be nice.

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk