Prev: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John Next: Re: [GZG] List moderation

Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John

From: Jerry Han <jhan@w...>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 18:33:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John

I've been trying to stay out of this one, but I'd like toss in my two
cents
at this point.

My vote is "I'd probably end up lurking on either."  (8-)  And that
whatever
Jon T. wants, Jon T. should get, because, in the end, it's his business
and
he gets to decide how he wants to market it.

In my experience with other groups, if there's enough support, both a
list
and a forum can survive and cross pollinate each other.  Hell, depending
on the BBS software, it should be pretty easy to setup a bot that sends
new forum posts (or posts that start new threads) to the mailing list,
and
new mailing list posts to a forum.  So, both sides could keep track of
one another.  (Keep the mailing list posts in their own forum, define
thread by subject line, and have the forum threads locked read-only, to
keep update and reply issues to a minimum... but that's tech detail
stuff people could work on later.)

The thing is, you'll never find agreement; it's like asking whether or
not people prefer to listen to CDs or live music.  In the end,
it comes down to personal preference.  Some people are always going to
be disappointed, and there's always going to be a couple to whom this is
such an important issue, that they'll take their business and attention
elsewhere, no matter what you decide -- and there's not a damned thing
that can be done about it.

Change is inevitable; even for members who've done a lot for
the game, eventually people walk away or say good-bye.	If people leave
over this, it's like the other people who have left the list for
various reasons already.  New groups of people will step to the
forefront.  With all due respect to the valued people and their
contributions, nobody here is indispensable, except Jon T and GZG.

So, in other words, I'd also like to cast a vote for "this discussion
has eaten up way too much bandwidth already over multiple time periods,
can we agree to disagree, setup the forum finally, run both, and get
back
to important things, like sheep?" (8-)	 If the list fails, it fails --
but if the survival of GZG truly depends on the half-dozen or dozen or
however many 'hardcore' members who would leave the GZG community behind
in the event of a list failure, then I would argue that Jon has more
important issues to deal with then whether or not adding an 'official'
forum is an appropriate way to proceed.

JGH

--
** Jerry Han - jhan@warpfish.com - http://www.warpfish.com/jhan -
TBFTGOGGI **

Prev: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John Next: Re: [GZG] List moderation