Prev: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John Next: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John

Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:02:14 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John

> s been asked before, but opinions may have changed...... would it
> necessarily mean the death of the list if we had a forum AS WELL? I'd
be
> happy with both running in parallel, so folks could frequent one, the
other
> or both as choice and time allowed.
>
> I've had several requests for a forum attached to the GZG website,
which
> would be fairly simple especially with Jaime's kind (and longstanding)
offer
> to help run it. But I seem to recall that when this was last mooted,
there
> were a number of strongly dissenting voices of the opinion that the
list
> would then fold through lack of use and we'd lose several old (in list
> terms!!) and valued members, so the idea got shelved.
>
> Thoughts now??

I think if you go with both you dilute and lose too much. Some people
will
remain on a mailing list, others will leap onto the forums, and the
dynamics
of interaction between the two groups will be severed, or severely
degraded.
One or the other is the only real option.

I'm personally still not in favor of a forum. Takes a lot more time and
energy than I can devote to be active, or heck, even lurk, on a forum
with
any sort of regular basis.

I did try to be active on the prototype GZG test forum last year. But
even
with the extremely low volume of traffic it had back then, I wasn't able
"keep up" or even monitor. I eventually lost the link due to my
inability to
devote time to it.

Others out there may not have Other Lives or Whatnots and thus have more
free active net time. ;-)  Forums would work well for them. :-)

Just my two bits worth. :-)

Mk

Prev: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John Next: Re: [GZG] List moderation was: Dear John