Prev: Re: [GZG] Shipping sheep Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 9, Issue 39

[GZG] Dear John

From: Enzo de Ianni <enzodeianni@t...>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 00:55:38 +0200
Subject: [GZG] Dear John

>Message: 4
>Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 19:08:38 -0500
>From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@gmail.com>
>

>It's an active resistance.

No, John, it is not a military operation like the guy that shot a t
your colleagues patrolling the roads in Iraq, OK? It is a VERY
DIFFERENT KIND OF OPERATION. If you think that spy operations and
subtraction of industrial secret items are your job you are a confused
man.
If you think that information subtraction or homicide of an
individual is a military operation you are in a branch very different
than the one I served.
Each and every references I made was made in view of the item at
hand: active and military significant opposition to an invasion
(which, in my thesis, should be made with large, conventional forces
and not small, elite ones), not the killing of individuals but
military operations.
For example, the kind made by the Viet Minh (yes, I know it was the
party, not the name of the army) or FRELIMO and UNITA; "FRELIMO and
UNITA" were NOT different from PAVN... both had not a defined,
protected territory that could not be invaded but controlled parts of
the enemy territory, both had no more than rudimentary state
organization, both depended from foreign support for weapons, both
had to recruit, train and organize an army from scratch, in time,
both developed (up to a point, and here, yes, with a difference in
strong favor of PAVN) specialized branches equipped with heavier
weapons. Functionally, historically they were exactly the same kind
of movement, one won the others lost.

By the way, I like to work with what I studied and remember, not what
I can reap through the Net. I am old fashioned.

> > Whose death exactly proves what?
>
>He was assassinated by Polish resistance fighters in 1941.

Great, there were killers active in 1941 in Poland; how does that
relates to activity like the Warsaw Uprising that, at least, is
relevant to the discussion we were conducting?

>You make a definitive statement like "There was no active Polish
>resistance until 1944" and get a case of the ass when I tell you
>flatout you are wrong.

My next statement will be more circumstantiated and precise, I assure
you

>You are a piece of work indeed.
>
>John

John,
really, didn't want to get this personal, but you have some
relatively big problem: you lack the capacity to analyze what you
read, either in books or in these messages.
I hope you'll permit me to circumstantiate a little our further
exchanges and comment on some parts of your messages:
1) you should understand the limit of this kind of communication -
write is far more boring than talking face to face;
2) accept broader generalities and categories, even if not exactly
precise, just like any other do [I could have asked "quote date and
place and whatever else" after the sentence "a Marine MEU can invade
any nation"... it is false, unproved and impossible, but it was meant
to intend that a MEU is a redoubtable force and in that meaning I
accepted it]
3) give anybody else some credit, you'll still probably have some
interesting thing to add to anybody else reflections - I probably was
involved in logistics more than you [simply because as a subaltern I
had more things to cater for] and still are [due to my job involving
industrial enterprises] ... and I am still waiting for an explanation
about how come invasion forces do not incur in the same kind of
logistical problems defenders do... [by the way, defenders menaced
usually disperse their stores and have a whole planet... how come AK
was able to store enough weapons and ammo in Warsaw under the
occupation and a free planet can't do the same even only in the time
the invading fleet needed to reach the planet from outsystem?]
4) do not ignore everything that do not concord with your hypothesis
that come up in discussion as you have done again and again in this
exchange and do not warp the term of the issue at hand [I never ever
declared that a US maneuver unit was completely destroyed in Vietnam,
that's what you understood; just like you misunderstood my first
comment that was explained to you by Oerjan; the term of the exchange
were - small elite units have limited usefulness in battle -
companies were destroyed and routed in Vietnam again and again -
small units are company sized at best - company sized units can be
routed or destroyed by a less capable enemy; this is the issue in
discussion and it has been proved by historical sources beyond me and
you referring to historical precedents I invoked] - [and I am still
waiting for an explanation of Ishandlwana] - [and, I would add, an
explanation of how could "small elite" units control Iraq with the
kind of losses US and Allied troops suffered; I think, but I will
appreciate any further info on the subject, that they would have
suffered a crisis several thousands casualties ago]
5) do not ask for precise references with pedantic regularity, it
does very little to help the discussion, focus instead on the topics,
several affirmations will become more clear that way [this is not an
after the action debriefing, we are just brainstorming on a reality
about which we can not know a thing ]
6) last but not least, do not use personal evaluation with complete
foreigners, it usually is considered rude.

I didn't care to get to such stupid and pedantic list of comments but
it looks like it is the way of the land; would have preferred a
friendly exchange among us, where it is not necessary to point to
each and every "glitch".. less intelligent proposals usually
disappear by themselves, substituted by the better corrections.

Will gladly read any further comment of yours, even if personally
addressed, IF REFERRED TO EACH AND EVERY PART of my last message, NOT
SKIPPING ANYTHING YOU DO NOT CARE TO COMMENT BECAUSE YOU FEEL IT IS
NOT IMPORTANT. It probably is, just because you felt it is not.

I hope these statements are circumstantiated enough and contain
enough references to be comprehensible and clear.

With this, I have nothing more to add, but my excuses to the list
(and to Indy whose advice I guiltily preferred to ignore) as it was
definitely a better place before I started this.
It is evidently my fault as you had your own kind of equilibrium
before. Hoped to cool things down showing a white flag.

But would like to hear the story of the exchange with Kratman... he's
described as a mean guy and must have been a titan's clash... :)

							 Enzo de Ianni

Prev: Re: [GZG] Shipping sheep Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 9, Issue 39